Manatee County residents invited to virtual town hall series in June on Hurricane Season prep
Each County Commissioner will host video conference with Emergency Management Chief, Public Safety Director to relay messages for 2020 storm season
MANATEE COUNTY, FL (June 5, 2020) – In an effort to reach Manatee County residents with important preparation information for the 2020 Hurricane Season, Manatee County will host seven virtual town hall meetings this month.
Each of Manatee County's seven County Commissioners will host a video conference with Emergency Management Chief Steve Litschauer and Public Safety Director Jacob Saur. After officials review the year's most important messages, telephone lines will be open for questions from those on the line.
During the virtual town hall, Director Saur and Chief Litschauer will cover the following:
- Learning thestrength of your homeand whether it's in anevacuation zoneusing Manatee County'sonline tools for help.
- Making an evacuation plan NOW. If you're in an evacuation zone or mobile home, scout out several options where you can stay when severe weather approaches. Go tens of miles -- not hundreds -- to find a safer location to ride out the storm.
- In normal conditions public shelters can be crowded, noisy, cold and uncomfortable. If evacuation orders are given and public shelters open, they will keep you safe from the elements but there for those who come to shelters, there is no guarantee against the spread of germs and sickness. Public shelters MUST be your last resort in 2020.
- Knowing when to dial 911: for emergencies only. Call 311 for general information and questions throughout the year. If you're not sure whether your situation is truly an emergency, call 911.
The virtual town hall is scheduled as follows:
- District 3 Commissioner Stephen Jonsson
Wed. June 10, 1 p.m.
- District 2 Commissioner Reggie Bellamy
Thurs. June 11, 5 p.m.
- District 5 Commissioner Vanessa Baugh
Mon. June 15, 1 p.m.
- District 1 CommissionerPriscilla Trace
Mon., June 15, 3p.m.
- At-large Commissioner/Commission Chair Betsy Benac
Wed. June 17, 1 p.m.
- At-large Commissioner Carol Whitmore
Mon. June 22, 6 p.m.
- District 4 Commissioner Misty Servia
Thurs., June 25, 6 p.m.
NOTE: The video link for each meeting will be announced one day before each meeting at www.mymanatee.org/townhallEach town hall meeting also will be available for on-demand viewing on that area of the County website for within twodays of the event.
Manatee County residents who cannot attend one of the town hall meetings, can catch the County's most important hurricane messages for this yearhere.
For more information on Manatee County Government, visitwww.mymanatee.orgor call (941) 748-4501. You can also follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/manatee.county.fland on Twitter@ManateeGov.
Information Outreach Manager
Office: (941) 745-3771
Cell: (941) 224-9393